Benefits (including retirement, paid time off & optional health and vision insurance)
Opening Date: September 9, 2020
Opening Date: Open until filled
This is an administrative position assisting the fire chief. This position includes bookkeeping, payroll, preparation of reports and grant applications, general clerical tasks, record keeping, and other moderately complex administrative duties. This position has a 40-hour workweek, typically Monday through Friday, though some flexibility is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage accounts payable, accounts receivable, and bookkeeping
- Process payroll and coordinate with the board of directors for check signing and approvals
- Assist the chief in preparing the annual budget
- Maintain files and computer organization
- Manage account and registration renewals
- Assist in organizing department and community events, including conferences and parties
- Manage grants and applications
- Schedule station maintenance as necessary and coordinates office equipment maintenance
- Serve as the point person for community interface, billing, mailing, supplies, equipment, errands, maintenance
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Fire Chief, Board of Directors, and Commission
- Assist with the onboarding process for new hires & volunteers. Maintains leave banks and retirement contributions for paid staff. Makes travel arrangements for staff members.
- Responsible for department rosters, e-mail correspondence, and notification to members of all Board and Commission meetings and department functions.
- Receives and screens phone calls. Redirects them when appropriate. Handles and prioritizes all outgoing or incoming correspondence. Organizes and schedules meetings and appointments. Issues burn permits as needed.
- Oversees the maintenance of the business website and social media presence.
- Manages contract and price negotiations with office vendors and service providers
- Maintain station inventory and ordering as necessary
- Prepare reports on weekly, monthly and annual basis
- Manage petty cash and make bank deposits
- Assists Board of Directors and Commission Chairpersons as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by the fire chief or designee to assist in the daily operation and organization in the department
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (college degree or business school preferred)
- Possess a current State of Alaska driver’s license
- Documented progressive experience in secretarial and clerical work required
- Demonstrated experience as a full charge bookkeeper required
- Proficient in the use of QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
- No felony convictions, must be able to pass a background check
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated, but also able to be a team player, working well with other staff, volunteers and the community
- Must be able to read and write the English language
- Continuously be courteous to the public, allied agencies and members
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule
- EVFD is an at will employer
Applicants must mail or email a complete application, professional resume, applicable certifications and cover letter describing their qualifications and experience to one of the addresses listed below. Applicant must also provide three professional references. All applicants will be screened for minimum qualifications and only those meeting the qualifications may be forwarded on to the selection committee for interviews.
Send applications to:
Ester Volunteer Fire Department
Attn: Fire Chief Conner
PO Box 229
Ester, AK 99725
Or email to