$53,521.68 Annually + Benefits
(including health and vision insurance, retirement, paid time off)
Opening Date: February 6, 2020
Opening Date: February 15, 2020
This is a firefighting and engineer position. This position provides initial response to emergency incidents in the Ester area, as well as performing daily fire department business, facility and equipment maintenance, and equipment checks. This position has a 72/96 hour work schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to emergency incidents and acts as incident commander until relieved.
- Drives and operates emergency apparatus
- Performs firefighting including operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, performing rescue, fire suppression, ventilation, containment, salvage and overhaul operations.
- Administers emergency medical care to patients as prescribed by protocol.
- Performs emergency aid and rescue activities, including basic life support, vehicle extrication, trail EMS, and providing other assistance as required.
- Participates in and ensures the maintenance of the station and grounds to include cleaning/janitorial, stocking of supplies, mowing, plowing/shoveling, light repairs such as painting, etc. and other tasks as required to keep facilities clean, orderly and functional at all times.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly rig checks and ensures apparatus are maintained.
- Participates in drills, attends training and provides leadership to members by teaching, equipping and encouraging potential volunteers, new recruits and members in general.
- Maintains apparatus, training, and equipment records.
- Enter Incident/NFIRS reports using Aurora system and assist other members with this system
- Abides by the department’s OPMs and other policies
- Perform other duties as assigned by the fire chief or designee to assist in the daily operation and organization in the department.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent
- Must be 19 years of age or older
- Possess a current State of Alaska driver’s license insurable under Ester VFD’s vehicle insurance policy
- No felony convictions, must be able to pass a background check
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter I
- Current BLS/CPR card from American Heart Association or Red Cross Professional Level
- Current State of Alaska EMT Level 1 or higher
- Valid Hazmat Awareness or Operations Certifications
- Driver and Operator of Fire Apparatus
- ICS 100 and 200 Certifications
- Able to pass department physical ability test
- State of Alaska or IFSAC Firefighter II
Conditions of Employment:
- The employee shall acquire and apply the knowledge of the department’s policies, procedures, techniques and regulations on a continuous basis.
- Ability to operate tools and equipment related to emergency operations, including Fire, Extrication, EMS and Rescue equipment, radios, pagers, and computers
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated, but also able to be a team player, working well with other staff, volunteers and the community
- Must be able to read and write the English language
- Maintain the mental condition, physical endurance, agility, and strength necessary and follow oral and written directions promptly and accurately
- Continuously be courteous to the public, allied agencies and members
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule
- EVFD is an at will employer
Applicants must mail or email a complete application, professional resume, applicable certifications and cover letter describing their qualifications and experience to one of the addresses listed below. Applicant must also provide three professional references. All applicants will be screened for minimum qualifications and only those meeting the qualifications may be forwarded on to the selection committee for interviews.
Send applications to:
Ester Volunteer Fire Department
Attn: Fire Chief Conner
PO Box 229
Ester, AK 99725
Or email to